Follicular unit extraction(FUE)
FUE is a method of obtaining donor hair follicles / grafts by individually and directly removing hairs from the donor area without the use and need of a scalpel and stitches. In this hair restoration procedure, a 1mm or smaller punch is used to make a circular incision into the skin around the follicular unit which is then extracted using forceps from the scalp. The hair is then transplanted into the required area by individually transferring each graft into specially created micro incisions or slits using a technique which is slightly different from the one used in implanting Strip grafts. Again the surgeon uses his expertise to create natural looking new hair patterns where the new hair will grow.
Advantages Follicular unit extraction(FUE)
- Virtually scar less procedure with no linear scar.
- Suitable for patients with short hair preference or who would like to keep their hair shaved.
- Suitable for people with limited hair loss and those who would need a limited number of grafts.
- Shorter recovery time
- Suitable for those requiring, eye brow, eye lash or mustache transplants.
- Suitable for people with a heavily scarred donor area from previous strip procedures which have been badly performed.
- Suitable for patient with very tight scalps and therefore not suitable for Strip surgery where the skin is difficult to put back together by stitching.
- Suitable for patients with tight scalps due to previous multiple strip surgeries
- There are no linear scars with this technique which is therefore suitable for people with an inordinate fear of scars or scalpels.
- Enables the surgeon to harvest finer hair from the nape of the neck and therefore extends the donor area.